Brian Kelly briefly addressed the media after day 3 of spring practice 2012 – the first in which the Irish could be in full pads. We have some notes from the highlights of what Kelly had to say along with video posted on the ND athletic department YouTube channel.
First, the video and then some highlights below.
- George Atkinson impressed Kelly with his physical running and his patience. Last year he said Atkinson ran more out of control but so far this spring he is being more patient and waiting for things to develop.
- The timeline for picking a quarterback is not set – Kelly will pick his quarterback when one emerges and it could linger well into fall camp just as it did last year.
- Theo Riddick ran the ball very well today but Kelly joked that they dont give scholarships to running backs to run over safeties – they want them to make safeties miss them in the open field.
- The three returning quarterbacks are more decisive with the football so far this spring. They are also taking care of the football more. Before everyone gets excited though, remember its the first practice and things change when the bright lights are on.
- Davaris Daniels has a leg injury but should be back on the field on Wednesday. Kelly noted that Daniels did have a really nice day of practice on Friday. Kelly also noted that they are moving him around quite a bit so far this spring.
- Jamoris Slaughter took early reps today but was “up late changing diapers” after the birth of his first child earlier this week.
- Cierre Wood has a little bit of soreness in his quad, but the staff didn’t want to push him and wanted to give Atkinson a lot of reps today.
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the UHND.com RSS feed .