After watching the Notre Dame vs. North Carolina game, I couldn’t help but think that I had seen that game before. After some careful thought, I realize I had seen one very similiar.
The game specific events that occurred yesterday reminded me a lot of the 2005 Michigan State game.
Both games saw the following:
- Both games were shootouts decided on the final play
- Michigan State and North Carolina were less talented teams who ND should have beaten
- Like Michigan State’s Jason Teague, North Carolina’s Shaun Draughn was able to run on the Irish defense in timely situations
- A questionable fumble at or near the goal line which helped decide the game
- The Irish struggled at home in 2005 (unbeaten on the road), though they are struggling on the road in 2008 (unbeaten at home)
- Quinn and Clausen both opened the 2nd half with a pick six
- Quarterbacks set career highs in pass attempts and yards
- QUINN: 60 attempts, 487 yards
- CLAUSEN: 48 attempts, 383 yards
And next up for the Irish? Just like in 2005, the Irish will travel to Seattle to take on the Washington Huskies.
The obvious conclusion to all of this, is we can expect to see another epic battle between Notre Dame and Southern Cal.