Just in case you may have missed it, Notre Dame announced today that they will be installing FieldTurf. Jack Swarbrick was interviewed by the FIDM crew on the decision which has caused more than a little stir in the Notre Dame online community already. Here is the full video of the interview along with some notes on what Swarbrick had to say.
Swarbrick mentioned a few specific benefits to both the program and the University that come with the switch from grass to FieldTurf.
- Allows the players to have a field that is reliable that they know what the conditions will be.
- Allows the players to practice on the same surface that they will play the majority of their games on.
- Allows the players to be in Notre Dame Stadium on Fridays.
- Allows the Stadium to be used more throughout the year for non-football events. When asked about having concerts in Notre Dame Stadium, Swarbrick didn’t sound too optimistic, but did mention the possibility of outdoor hockey.
Some other key points from Swarbrick’s interview:
- Brian Kelly was not very involved in the decision to make the switch.
- Notre Dame hasn’t made any definitive plans for the design of the field (ie logos on the field) but Swarbrick does not expect to see anything significantly different than what is on the field now.
- Construction will begin the day after commencement and scheduled completion is August 15.