Notre Dame completed its 7th practice of the 2012 spring football season on Saturday with the Irish scrimmaging in full pads for the first time this spring. We have the video the University released from practice along with some observations.
- George Atkinson continues to look good running to the perimeter and is showcasing the patience that Brian Kelly talked about earlier this spring.
- Ishaq Williams was running with the first team defense with Prince Shembo banged up with a slight case of turf toe this week.
- John Goodman made a nice catch over the middle and displayed some moves we haven’t seen from him before but finished up the play by fumbling. Goodman has looked great in the limited video that’s been released so far this spring, but a great play that ends in a fumble won’t cut it come September.
- Like Atkinson, Theo Riddick looks good running the ball to the outside and is looking more and more comfortable back at his old position this spring.
- Rees throws an on target deep pass to Tyler Eifert around the 1:15 mark. Eifert was WIDE open though and the pass sailed to him somewhat.
- Speaking of Eifert, check out the 1:34 mark for a great one handed grab by the All American wide receiver.
- We’ve heard a lot this spring about how Notre Dame is really going to showcase the tight end position, but listen to Eifert’s comments when he gets interviewed about having to the “learn the offense” and you get the sense that might not just be lip service.
- Troy Niklas is looking more and more comfortable at tight end and could end up moving up the depth chart really quickly since Notre Dame will be looking for a blocking tight end as Eifert’s backup. Check out the 6:36 mark and you can see Niklas has some skills in the receiving department too.
- It’s easy to see why the early returns on new tight ends coach Scott Booker have been so positive – it looks like he already has a great connection with his players.
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the UHND.com RSS feed .