Notre Dame picked up commitment #12 on Sunday in the form of 5-star offensive guard and Chicagoland area native Chris Watt. Watt, Scout.com’s #2 OG, is the second offensive lineman to commit to Notre Dame just the second five star commitment along the OL during the Charlie Weis era (Sam Young was the other).
“There were so many things to like about Notre Dame. They just offered the best overall package from the obvious academic life to the football life. They are going to be a lot better thus year,” Watt said from his home.
Irish Illustrated on how Watt delivered the news to Charlie Weis
On the beach with his son Sunday afternoon, the Notre Dame head coach received a call from elite offensive guard Chris Watt with news the Irish program had been working to hear for nearly six months. The four-star prospect from Glen Ellyn, Ill., wanted to take himself off the market with a commitment to Notre Dame.
“He had heard that I wanted to talk to him,” Watt said. “He was very excited about the commitment. He was thrilled.”
After the news of Darrin Walls being out for this season on Friday, this is certainly a great way to cap off what was a pretty terrible weekend of Notre Dame news.
This was a huge pickup for Weis and Notre Dame. It gives Notre Dame as good of a guard combo as any team in the country could hope for this year. Now we just need to pray that Weis can convince Xavier Nixon to join this class as well.