Here’s a real quick look at who won each at award at Friday night’s football banquet.
- Notre Dame Monogram Club Most Valuable Player – Maurice Crum
- Nick Pietrosante Award – Maurice Crum & Mike Anello
- Notre Dame Club of St. Joseph Valley Rockne Student-Athlete Award – Mike Anello
- Guardian of the Year Award (Top Offensive Lineman) – Michael Turkovich
- Lineman of the Year Award – Pat Kuntz
- ISP/State Farm Student-Athlete of the Year – Chris Stewart
The Notre Dame Monogram Club MVP award is voted on by the players and apparently Crum won the award easily.
It’s great to see Mike Anello get honored with two different awards after the season he had as a gunner on the punt and kick return teams. Unfortunately, Anello will be out 2-4 months and won’t be able to take part in whatever bowl Notre Dame lands in. Anello could be back as a fifth year senior next year though and it wouldn’t shock anyone if he did just that after the season he just had.
Pat Kuntz taking home the Lineman of the Year award was fitting. Kuntz was a warrior the past two years and left everything on the field every week. I’ve said it countless times on this blog, but give me 11 guys on defense with Pat Kuntz’s attitude and desire and I’ll show you a lights out defense.
It’s also great to see Michael Turkovich honored as the offensive lineman of the year. After last year, no one could have imagined that Turkovich would have been the best offensive lineman for the Irish in 2008. Congrats to Turk for battling back after a rough first season as a starter and adding some stability to the left tackle position.
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the UHND.com RSS feed .