So while Jeff and I are sitting here watching the Patriots-Cowboys game while we are waiting for our flights, I figured I would post some comments on the game. These will be brief and I will have some more stuff this week as I recover from my 10 day road trip which had me take in the UCLA game then visit Vegas, San Diego, and Chicago before spending the last 3 days in South Bend.
- Sharpley should start. I was wrong. Way wrong in fact. Clausen has been good at avoiding mistakes, but Sharpley has been good at making plays.
- That said, Sharpley still holds onto the ball too long. On the pass to Parris that got called back because of Turk’s holding penalty, he held onto the ball entirely too long and the safety almost had time to recover. He had Sharpley open immediately and should have let it go.
- Speaking of that play, why is Turkovich still starting?
- What happened to the running game that we saw against Michigan State? Our season rushing statistics – 225 yards on 220 attempts is pathetic. Even if you take out the sack yardage, we have gained just 468 yards through 7 games.
- Robbie Parris is going to be a pretty good receiver, but he needs a lot more reps. He was getting his feet tangled up way too often in the second half. Still, he’s got great hands and is using his body to shield defenders. He and Sharpley look like they have a good chemistry working.
- Loved the play call on 4th and 1 with the play action. I hated last week’s play action at the goal line, but thought it made sense in this case because Weis set it up nicely by calling a sneak on short yardage earlier in the game.
- At some point Armando Allen is going to break a big play. I just hope its this year. There were a couple occasions when i thought he had some daylight but got tripped up.
- Duval Kamara needs some extra reps during hand drills this week because he dropped a couple very catchable balls this week. I think starting him is the right move by Weis, but he is going to have to hold onto the ball better. He is also needs some work on downfield passes that are up for grabs. Weis did wonders for Maurice Stovall in this department and Kamara will need some similar work because right now he just isn’t using his body to shield away defenders.
- If I was as bad at my day job as John Sullivan is at making the snap out of the shotgun, I would not have to worry about going back into the office tomorrow.
- Vernaglia looked better as an inside linebacker than he has on the outsid, but we missed Mo Crum A LOT.
- Brian Smith is not going to be a heck of a player – he already is. He plays with some fire and is going to make many more plays like his interception return over the next four years.
- Pat Kuntz and Trevor Laws go non stop all down, every down. They play from whistle to whistle and are still mixing it up in there even though we are 1-6.
- The attitude on the defense is slowly beginning to change. Walls, Kuntz, and some others were constantly trying to pump up the crowd in the second half and I get the sense that these guys disparately want to win.
- I think my liver hurts.
- People from Wisconsin can handle their liquor.
- I’ve developed a new nickname on this trip – the Anvil – as in Jim “the Anvil” Neihard.
- I think I did some damage on this trip and I don’t think I’m eating or drinking anything but milk, Mylanta, Tums, and bread for the next week.
- B12 is an amazing little vitamin that I will now be taking before every time I go out boozing. I think some of us may have drank enough to kill a small horse this weekend, but we didn’t have any hangovers. Thank you Blickster.
Ok, thats all for now. I will hopefully be boarding my flight home in about a 1/2 hour and will hopefully be home, showered, and recharging my batteries in about three hours.
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the UHND.com RSS feed .