Lost in all of the Charlie Weis buyout rumors from the past few days is the fact that Notre Dame is still bowl eligible and according to Weis last week, the Irish will go to a bowl if they are invited this year. That said, I came across a post over on the ESPN College Football Blog defining the bowl options for the Irish this year.
Here are the bowl games which will have an at large spot available to them.
Guaranteed Open At-Large Bids
- (1) Texas Bowl – 12/30 – (vs. Conf USA)
- (1) Poinsettia Bowl – 12/23 – (vs. Mountain West) (Update: The Poinsettia Bowl is not an option for ND)
- (1) Papajohns.com Bowl – 12/29 – (vs. Big East)
- (2) Independence Bowl – 12/28
- (1) Emerald Bowl – 12/27 – (vs. ACC)
Possible Open At-Large Bids
- (1) Motor City Bowl – 12/26 (vs. MAC)
- (1) Hawaii Bowl – 12/24 – (vs. Hawaii)
So there you have it. We could be in a bowl game anywhere from December 23-December 30. Of these bowls, the only one the Irish have ever been to is the Independance Bowl. Notre Dame lost to LSU 27-9 in Bob Davie’s first season as head coach for the Irish in 1997.
Not exactly the big name bowls most were hoping for before the season started, but as the infamous Bob Davie used to say, “it is what it is”.
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the UHND.com RSS feed .