We have yet another figure on Weis buyout now courtesy of WNDU. According to the South Bend NBC affiliate, Weis’s buyout is actually in the $20 million range.
As we first told you on NewsCenter 16 at 6, a source very close to the situation tells WNDU that the price to buy Weis out of the remaining seven years of his contract is around $20 million.
The source also says that Notre Dame does not appear to have the money right now and could be using the next week to try and raise more funds from alums.
So let’s review reports on the buyout over the last 5 days:
- Wednesday – Chicago Tribune reports the buyout is around $4.5 and source called it “loose change.”
- Wednesday – ESPN responds that the buyout is “stupefying” and actually around $16 million.
- Saturday – Irish Illustrated reports that the buyout is actually around $10 million.
- Sunday – Michael Rothstein of Fort Wayne Journal reports the buyout is around $12 million.
- Sunday – WNDU reports the buyout to be in the $20 million range.
It’s official. No one really knows what the hell they are talking about in regards to this buyout. My guess is there’s a whole lot of good and bad information floating around out there about this buyout and that we may never actually know what the real buyout value is. I do know one thing. The silence from the Notre Dame athletic department right now is deafening.
At this point though, I fully expect to hear a couple more news outlets come up with their own buyout figure. Heck, the range in buyout figures is already $15 million from the smallest to the highest so how wrong can anyone else really be on the matter?