With Rutgers’ complete and total domination of Louisville tonight, the Sun Bowl is now no longer an option for Notre Dame this year. the Rutgers win puts the Scarlett Knights at 7-5 this season which means the 6-6 can’t be selected by the Sun Bowl.
This isn’t necessarily a bad thing either. A Sun Bowl trip would have been against Oregon State and I know I for one couldn’t have dealt with another potential bowl loss to the Beavers.
With the Sun Bowl no longer an option here are the most likely remaining bowl options for Notre Dame.
- Texas Bowl against Rice (9-3)
- Motor City Bowl against #12 Ball State (12-0)*
- Hawaii Bowl against Hawaii (7-5)
- Independence Bowl against TBD
* We could make it to the Motor City Bowl if Ohio State is selected for a BCS Bowl because the Big 10 won’t have enough bowl eligible teams with the Buckeyes in the BCS.
I believe the Papa Johns Bowl might also be an option for Notre Dame with Louisville not being bowl eligible, but the payout for this bowl is just $300,000 while all of the other bowls I listed payout at least $750,000.
Side note – at half time of the Pitt game who would have thought we would be discussing any bowls other than the Gator Bowl at this time?