Greetings from beautiful sunny California. My vacation finds me in San Diego this evening with some reliable internet access for the first time in a couple of days so I figured I’d post some of my comments from the UCLA game. All of these come from section 26 of the Rose Bowl where I took in Saturday’s victory.
- It’s really tough to judge the offensive line from the end zone, but I thought the line played well at times, but as all season, they just weren’t consistent and when we needed to run the ball, we couldn’t.
- UCLA was very prepared for Golden Tate and had safety help every time he went deep – which was most of the time he was in the game. Until Tate gets worked into the offense more and more, defenses will be ready for him.
- Weis’s gameplan called for a lot of passing out of 3 TE/1 WR sets. This didn’t give Clausen too many targets and as a result, the downfield passing game was non existent. Clausen completed 17 out of 27 passes for just 84 yards because there weren’t many receivers open downfield as they were last week.
- Clausen was OK, but missed some open receivers. On the few occasions when Clausen had some receivers open he either missed them or they dropped the ball (Carlson’s drop on 2nd and goal in the first half).
- Anyone who tailgated with me Saturday knows that I talked a lot of junk on Maurice Crum prior to kickoff and man did he shut me up in a hurry with that performance.
- Brian Smith and Kerry Neal continue to reinforce the need for them to see more and more playing time. Both are the best pure pass rushers on the team right now.
- It was very nice to see a consistent pass rush from a Notre Dame defense. It was also nice to see more balls being batted down at the line of scrimmage.
- Trevor Laws should be an All American – plain and simple.
- UCLA may have been down to their 3rd string QB, but any time you force seven turnovers, you are doing something right.
- How great was it seeing Brandon Walker nail that 48 yard field goal? By the way, the ball bounced did not bounce off the crossbar, but rather on the poll.
Sorry, have to cut this short, my flight to Chicago takes off in seven hours and I need some sleep. I’ll try to add more tomorrow.