- Matt Romine and Paul Duncan have the “OR” label on them at left tackle. Weis said that Duncan will start, but that Romine will play in the first half as well. This is a very good sign that Romine is progressing now that he is healthy.
- Jonas Gray is listed as the #2 running back behind Armando Allen. Weis said that Robert Hughes being suspended for the first of the Nevada game (because of his fight in the USC game) made this decision easy, but in reality it appears as though Gray has passed Hughes. Again this is a good sign considering we know that Hughes is a capable back.
- Brian Smith is listed as the #1 WILL and #2 MIKE while Manti Te’o is listed as the #2 WILL. Smith is going to play the WILL on run downs but will but one of the nickel linebackers with Te’o on passing downs.
- Sean Cywnar has passed Brandon Newman as the #2 NT behind Ian Williams. Newman had a very good spring game, but not much has been said about him this summer. Cwynar, meanwhile, has gotten very positive reviews from Weis the past couple weeks.
- Raeshon McNeil took advantage of the time Darrin Walls missed and is listed as the starting corner opposite Robert Blanton. Weis said not to read too much into this since both will play a lot, but it’s still surprising that Walls is not listed as the starter.
- Theo Riddick is the starting kick-returner and will be line up with James Aldridge. Aldridge will be primarily the lead blocker for Riddick which makes sense considering Aldridge is now the start full back. What’s really interesting is that Shaquelle Evans is listed as a KR and Cierre Wood isn’t.
- Speaking of Evans, he is not listed on the two deep at receiver. Senior Robbie Parris and junior Duval Kamara are listed as the backups though. Something tells me that Evans won’t be behind Parris long and could see end up playing quite a bit this weekend.
- Bobby Burger, a growing cult hero on the forums, is the backup full back behind Aldridge over junior Steve Paskorz.
- Dan Wenger is listed as the backup at center behind Eric Olsen and as a OR at left guard with Chris Stewart. Weis said that Wenger and Stewart will both play at left guard in the first half just as Romine and Duncan will both play at left tackle. It’s nice to see Wenger battling after losing his starting spot at the start of fall camp.
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the UHND.com RSS feed .