Usually we try to post these on Monday of game week, but after another long and tortuous off-season, we couldn’t wait. Here is all of the pertinent information for this weekend’s season opener against Rice including kickoff times, viewing options, current odds, weather, opponent details, and more.
- Date: August 30, 2014
- Kickoff: 3:30 PM ET
- Location: Notre Dame Stadium – Notre Dame, Indiana
- Tickets: As of Sunday afternoon, there were tickets available via our affiliate partner Ticket City for less than $50. Shop for Tickets
- Television: NBC (National Broadcast)
- Internet Broadcast: NBC Live Extra
- Mobile: NBC Live Extra Apps
- Radio: ISP Sports Network
- Weather: Forecast for August 30 – Notre Dame, IN
- Conference: Conference USA
- Head Coach: David Bailiff – 8th Season (40-48)
- 2014 Record: 0-0
- 2013 Record: 10-4 – Lost Liberty Bowl
- Social Media: Facebook // Twitter
- Official Website: www.riceowls.com
As of Sunday, the odds from Sports Book were:
- Line: Notre Dame -21
- Over/Under: 51.5
Notre Dame owns a 4-0 record against Rice with the most recent meeting coming in November of 1988. Notre Dame handled Rice easily that day to the tune of a 54-11 victory. The win was one of 12 in what would be an unbeaten season for Notre Dame resulting in the school’s 11th and most recent national championship. Notre Dame and Rice first meet in 1915 – a 55-2 Notre Dame victory. In between, two Ara Parseghian led Fighting Irish squads were victorious over Rice in 1973 and 1974. In the four meetings between the schools, Rice has scored a total of 16 points with the 11 point effort in 1988 being their highest scoring outing. Despite facing Rice just four times total prior to 2014, Notre Dame has come across the Owls during two of their national championship seasons.
During the 1988 contest against Rice, a freshman by the name of Raghib “The Rocket” Ismail returned not one, but two, kickoffs for touchdowns – the first and second kick returns for scores in his career.