Notre Dame will host its first big recruiting weekend of the Brian Kelly era this weekend as the Irish charge towards National Signing Day looking to added more depth and talent to the class of 2010. In addition to a handful of committed players visiting, Notre Dame will play host to at least seven recruits who aren’t committed or are committed elsewhere.
The list of recruits for this weekend seems to be growing by the hour, but as of now, here is a quick look at the recruits who aren’t committed to Notre Dame who will be visiting this weekend.
- Matt James (OT) – James is the headliner among the group this weekend. He is a top 100 prospect at a major position of need. If there is a must get among this group, it’s James.
- Luke Massa (QB) – James’s high school teammate will be making the trip to South Bend after recently being offered. Notre Dame already has two quarterbacks in this class, but Massa could make it three. Various reports have suggested Massa is likely to commit. Massa is still committed to Cincinnati – he committed to the Bearcats while Kelly was still head coach.
- Danny Spond (ATH) – Spond was one of the first new offers Brian Kelly sent out. He’s a versatile athlete who played QB in high school but could project as an OLB in Notre Dame’s 3-4 defense.
- Jeremy Ioane (S) – Ioane is a high school teammate of current Notre Dame freshmen Manti Te’o and Roby Toma. He is a hard hitting safety with good speed. Notre Dame could really use another safety in this class and Ioane would be a nice recruit to fill that void assuming Kelly and staff can’t lure Dietrich Riley to South Bend. Washington appears to be the main competition right now.
- Kona Schwenke (DE) – Another Hawaii native, Schwenke was offered recently and will make the trip this weekend. Schwenke is a tall, lanky defensive end prospect that will need some work in the weight room, but has a very high ceiling.
- Derek Roback (QB/ATH) – Another recent recruit to get an offer, Roback will be visiting this weekend despite being committed to Toledo. Roback’s offer raised some eyebrows on the forums because Notre Dame already has two QBs with a third (Massa) visiting this weekend as well. Roback, however, could have a brighter future on defense like Spond.
- Brandon Bourbon (RB) – Bourbon is committed to Stanford, but also recently got a Notre Dame offer. With Giovanni Bernard likely not heading to Notre Dame, it makes sense to try and add a running back in this class – especially one that has some versatility like Bourbon.
In addition to these recruits, the following committed prospects will be in attendance this weekend as well.
- Christian Lombard (OT/OG) – Lombard has been to Notre Dame before and has been one of the strongest commits in this class. Hopefully he hit it off with Matt James at the Army All American Bowl and can convince him to join him in South Bend.
- Andrew Hendrix (QB) – Hendrix wavered in the wake of the Weis dismissal and even visited Florida earlier this month before recommitting. That was before Notre Dame offered Luke Massa though so it will be interesting to see how this weekend goes with both QBs visiting.
- Tate Nichols (OT) – Nichols is making the trip to South Bend after committing earlier this month.
- Daniel Smith (WR) – Smith was Notre Dame’s second commitment in this class and as a South Bend native, he’s been to Notre Dame many times.
With the rate in which new visitors and offers have been popping up this weekend, it wouldn’t be surprising if this list changes some before all is said and done, but as of now this is who it looks like will be making the trip to balmy South Bend this weekend.