Brian Kelly officially introduced his new offensive coordinator and QB coach on Friday and in the process revealed that the Irish offense would be taking on a new shape in 2014 based on the talent the Irish have at the quarterback position.
Here are the highlights with the full video below.
- Kelly officially introduced Mike Denbrock as offensive coordinator and Matt LeFleur as quarterbacks coach. Kelly cited LeFleur’s experience working with dual threat quarterbacks in both college and the pros as one of the reasons he is excited to add him to the staff.
- With Kelly taking over play calling duties this year, he said that LeFleur will run the quarterback meetings and he will be sitting in on those meetings. LeFleur will also be in charge of developing them day to day. Denbrock will oversee the entire offense as the coordinator.
- LeFleur’s experience in Washington with the Redskins is one of the reasons Kelly was interested in him for the position given the relative young and inexperience Notre Dame has at quarterback.
- Kelly talked about the Notre Dame offense having a” new look” next year this year as being the reason behind him taking over play calling duties. The new look is the result of Notre Dame having a mobile quarterback again and Kelly wanting Notre Dame to be more dynamic outside the pocket.
- Everett Golson has looked good since returning to campus but Kelly cautioned that he is not ready to just hand over the starting gig to Golson. He will have to earn it over sophomore to be Malik Zaire.
- Kelly said that Zaire is the kind of player who might not practice well all the time, but plays his best when the lights come on. There were reports that Golson was similar early in his career as well.
- The staff “lost” Zaire for about 4 or 5 games last year when Zaire was 3rd on the depth chart and not getting any playing time or many reps in practice. Kelly said that they were able to get him back though and refocused.
- Notre Dame’s defense will remain a base 3-4 that uses multiple fronts fairly often. The base defense, however, will remain a 3-4 even though there has been some chatter of Notre Dame switching to a 4-3 defense.
- Jarron Jones and Tony Springmann will be the first two players Notre Dame looks at to replace Louis Nix. Kelly mentioned that they have recruited guys with size as well but Jones and Springmann will be the first two they look at.
- Kelly said that all of the 5th year candidates know where they stand right now and official announcements should come after Signing Day. There were reports a couple weeks ago that four seniors were set to come back for a 5th year.