The last couple days the WatchND crew did a fantastic job profiling the running back and safety positions and the position battles that are underway at each position in fall camp. Here’s a look at both positions along with comments from position coaches Tony Alford and Kerry Cooks.
- It is impossible to watch these guys in practice and not get excited about the potential of the group. All three are capable starting running backs on the college level. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t really, really excited to see a healthy Greg Bryant carrying the ball this fall though.
- RB coach Tony Alford praised Cam McDaniel for his leadership at the position. Alford mentioned that Tarean Folston really needs to push himself. This is very similar to what Brian Kelly said over the weekend. As for Greg Bryant, Alford said he still needs to improve his knowledge of the offense.
- Kerry Cooks singled out Austin Collinsworth as a player who is the leader of the group. This echoes what Brian Kelly said over the weekend.
- Cooks was also very complimentary of Max Redfield stating the sophomore is really coming around.
- Nicky Baratti, Eilar Hardy, and Drue Tranquil were the next group mentioned by Cooks.
- Interestingly, Elijah Shumate was the last safety that Cooks mentioned. Cooks did praise Shumate for his athleticism though.