Notre Dame was back on the practice field on Saturday for Faculty and staff appreciation day with the Irish doing some live 11 on 11 full contact scrimmaging. Notes with video below.
- Tommy Rees definitely is showing better velocity on his short and intermediate throws. As we’ve said all summer, he still isn’t going to launch 50+ yard bombs on a rope, but improved velocity on shorter throws should allow for him to fit passes in windows he couldn’t previously.
- It looks like Rees can still use work on his form when throwing on the run though. A couple of the passes we’ve seen from him this summer while on the run appear to be sailing on him.
- Corey Robinson is going to be a star at some point in his career. He might not be fully ready to do so this year, but all he does is catch everything thrown his way. More importantly, he is a huge receiver that is already using his body really well to position defenders away from the ball while it’s in the air. It took Maurice Stovall a couple years to learn how to use his body in that way and we all saw what happened once he started doing that.
- Not so coincidentally, DaVaris Daniels has looked really good in the limited practice video too. That’s what happens when you start to build depth – you’re veterans feel the pressure from the younger players. Daniels had a nice catch in the corner of the endzone.
- Eliar Hardy made a nice play at the end of the clip and was getting a lot of props from Bob Diaco. His name hasn’t gotten mentioned much this summer on the boards, but he was at one time turning some heads before his injury a couple years ago.
- By the way, how in the heck did Corey Robinson get so few offers from big time programs? Great job by the Notre Dame coaching staff recruiting based on what they saw and their own evaluations.