Notre Dame officially kicked off fall camp for 2014 on Monday with the first official practice of the season. The Irish are practicing at Culver Academy to for the first week of camp until moving back to campus an practicing on the Labar Football Practice Fields on Saturday.
Here is today’s video that was posted to the WatchND YouTube channel with some notes and observations below.
- The first two days of fall camp will include only helmets while the first five days are limited to just one practice – all per NCAA rules.
- Mike Denbrock will miss the first couple weeks of fall camp as he recovers from a surgical procedure. Brian Kelly will assume his offensive coordinator and wide receiver coaching duties during his recovery.
- Tyler Luatua definitely looks the part. Today’s clip feature a couple catches from the true freshman who drew some praise from Brian Kelly on Friday and he looks well put together for a frosh.
- Chris Brown made a really nice play in some tight coverage from Keivarae Russell.
- Everett Golson had a couple really nice throws such as the bomb he dropped almost perfectly into Davaris Daniels arms on the first throw in the video, but he also placed one squarely into the hands of Max Redfield as well at the end.
- Matt Hegarty was lining up as the first team left guard while Steve Elmer was the starting right tackle according to multiple tweets from those in attendance. Mike McMcGlinchey meanwhile was running with the second team after exiting the spring as the starting right tackle.
- Also according to Twitter, Cody Riggs, Tarean Folston, and Greg Bryant were the three players to field punts during special teams practices.
- Will Fuller showed off his speed with a big play downfield with Cole Luke covering him. Speaking of Luke, he was starting opposite Russell at corner.
As always, it’s tough to take much out of these videos, but after months of not having any football to watch, it is awesome to have some practice clips to satisfy our football appetites until the season kicks off on August 30.