5 Things I Didn’t Like from Notre Dame v. Purdue ’14

Max Redfield - Notre Dame v. Purdue
Purdue Boilermakers quarterback Danny Etling (5) reacts after being tackled by Notre Dame Fighting Irish safety Max Redfield (10) in the second quarter at Lucas Oil Stadium. Redfield was called for targeting and a helmet to helmet hit and was ejected from the game. (Matt Cashore-USA TODAY Sports)

For the first time this season this column was unfortunately not hard to write.  The last two weeks Notre Dame left very little for their not to like with a blowout of Rice and an embarrassment of Michigan.  The Irish looked ordinary against Purdue for much of the game, however, and a let a team that finished 1-11 a year ago hang with them for most of the contest.  Not exactly the next step forward we were all hoping to see out of the Irish this week.

With that said, here is this week’s 5 Things I Didn’t Like.  Hopefully future iterations of this column return to being tough to write.

1. Lack of a running game

Notre Dame struggled to run the ball well consistently for the second week in a row while Everett Golson led the team in rushing with 54 yards.  Part of the problem with the ground game was Kelly didn’t stick with it long enough – no Notre Dame running back carried the ball more than 9 times with Cam McDaniel and Tarean Folston each getting 9 carries to Greg Bryant’s 6. In fact, Bryant actually averaged a solid 4.8 yards per attempt on those six runs, but didn’t get enough to really get going.

As a team, Notre Dame ran for just 139 yards against a pretty weak opponent.  I figured Notre Dame would pass early in this game but then run it at will in the second half since Purdue’s run defense hasn’t been strong the first two weeks of the season.  Didn’t happen though.  With the bye week this week, Kelly and Mike Denbrock need to reevaluate the running game and what they want to get out of it because the Irish will need a much a stronger effort on the ground come October.

Which brings me to my next thing I didn’t like…

2. Problems with the offensive line

Part of the problem with the Notre Dame running game was the offensive line simply wasn’t very good against Purdue.  The yards the running backs gained were all hard fought and there weren’t many (any?) any occasions where the line just opened up a huge hole for a back to explode through.  Clearly Notre Dame is missing Zack Martin and Chris Watt much more than anyone thought and will need to rethink the unit they have out there and possibly even reshuffle the deck.

On Sunday Brian Kelly said that the line right now isn’t doing anything majorly wrong, they just aren’t sustaining their blocks long enough and seemed pretty confident that the problems the line faced Saturday night were correctable.  Hopefully they are because Everett Golson was running for his life most of the night and if he weren’t as mobile he is, Purdue would have notched a lot more than the four sacks they did.

Kelly also said he would be sitting down with Harry Hiestand on Sunday to discuss the line and what they wanted to do moving froward acknowledging that changes could be coming.  Does Mike McGlinchey take over at right tackle with Steve Elmer moving back to guard?  Does Christian Lombard swing back out to right tackle where he played in 2012?  We’ll find out soon enough but it would be surprising to me if the starting offensive line against Syracuse didn’t have a new look.

3. Stupid, needless penalties

This was one of the sloppiest games I can remember recently in the Brian Kelly era.  The Max Redfield penalty was really bad for starters.  There’s no reason for a penalty like that and the ripple effect it had was huge.  Redfield handled it well after the game and luckily it didn’t cost the Irish defense more than it did.  The only silver lining out of that play is that since it happened in the first half Redfield will be available to start against Syracuse.  Hopefully Kerry Cooks and Brian VanGorder use it as a teaching moment this week as well.

The Redfield penalty, however, wasn’t the only needless penalty Notre Dame incurred on Saturday.  There were multiple procedural and alignment penalties on Notre Dame that were drive killers.  Those types of penalties simply shouldn’t happen.  Throw in a taunting penalty and there will be plenty of things for Brian Kelly to harp on during the week with his team.  Notre Dame had a total of seven penalties this week after combing for just five penalties the first two weeks.

Notre Dame can’t have another sloppy game like that with the heart of the schedule on the horizon.   Part of this comes with the territory with such a young team – only two starters against Purdue are in their last year’s of eligibility – but that can’t be an excuse moving forward.

4. Tackling

After two really good weeks of tackling, there was a lot of sloppy tackling against Purdue – primarily in the first half.  There were a few occurrences of defenders going for the big hit instead of the sure tackle and Purdue getting more yards than they should have.  Tackling was cleaned up a bit in the second half, but considering how sound tackling had been against Rice and Michigan, this was concerning this week.

Notre Dame ended up being with out a couple of key players on Saturday and we know they’ve been without a few regulars on defense because of the academic investigation, but just like with the penalties, that can’t be an excuse moving forward.  That will fly versus Purdue.  It won’t against Stanford, Florida State, or USC.

5.  Diversity of the Notre Dame passing game – especially after Amir Carlisle got hurt

For as much as I’ve been a fan of Everett Golson’s development and evolution into more of a pocket passer, the Notre Dame passing game has lacked some diversity the last few weeks.  A couple players who were supposed to be integral parts of the passing game have been virtually invisible – namely Chris Brown and Ben Koyack.  Brown drew rave reviews from Brian Kelly for his leadership throughout camp but against Purdue he caught one pass for 11 yards and has just 4 receptions for 36 yards through three games this season.

The disappearance from the tight end position has been alarming as well given the production Notre Dame has gotten out of the position the last 10 years.  Koyack was slightly more involved this week with 5 receptions, but those catches totaled just 32 yards and one ended in Notre Dame’s first turnover of the season when Koyack fumbled.  Purdue ended up turning that fumble into a touchdown relatively easily.

Once Amir Carlisle got hurt the middle of the field turned into somewhat of a dead-zone for the Notre Dame passing game.  With the speed and talent Notre Dame has on offense they need to exploit the middle of the field by getting their more athletic slot players in some favorable matchups.  Carlisle could be back for Syracuse and the Irish will also benefit from the return of Torii Hunter Jr, but the tight end position has to become more of a weapon for this offense to truly excel.

All in all, Saturday was not a great effort from the Irish but considering all of the injuries and missing bodies, they got the job done relatively easily.  Notre Dame now has an extra week off to heal up and prepare for Syracuse before they hit the make of break stretch of their season.  Brian Kelly and his staff have a lot of work to do with the extra week of preparation.  What they do with it will determine if we’re talking about a playoff run or next season by the end of October.