When news broke on Friday that Cade McNamara, the first commitment for the class of 2019, was decommitting from Notre Dame it came as a surprise since just last week he had reaffirmed his commitment and was reported to be planning another visit to Notre Dame in the spring. Over the weekend, McNamara gave more details on why he decommitted though and it sounds like the Irish are completely out of the running at this point.
Here’s what McNamara told local NBC affiliate KRNV:
“Over the course over the past couple of months some things have been said, some things haven’t been done. Notre Dame just isn’t the best fit for me.” He also added, “I believe they (ND) might still try to recruit me. As of right now, I cannot see myself playing for Notre Dame just because I feel it’s not the best fit for me. That’s where I stand right now.”
That is quite a bit different than what he told the same news outlet less than a week ago. It also seems to insinuate that Notre Dame was not completely honest with him since his commitment. That is also a stark contrast to his statement on Friday when he said “I have a huge amount of respect for their program and wish them all the best.”
But such is life in recruiting.
McNamara also told KRNV that he is looking for the most competitive situation possible so that even if he doesn’t start in college he has a chance to make it to the NFL. Those comments are likely aimed at attempting to squash the notion that he did like how the Notre Dame depth chart developed with Phil Jurkovec‘s monster senior season adding to Notre Dame’s QB depth.
McNamara has also said that the influx of new offers did not alter his decision to decommit from Notre Dame. The optics there are hard to ignore though. McNamara was not shy about talking about the new offers he received from USC, Michigan, Alabama, and Georgia. Compare that with how Phil Jurkovec handled the offers he received post Notre Dame commitment and the writing was on the wall here.
Whatever the real reason behind the decommitment, Notre Dame is left without a quarterback in the class of 2019 after essentially shutting down their recruiting efforts at QB last July following McNamara’s original commitment. With a depth chart featuring four quarterbacks who have a combined 13 years of eligibility remaining – Brandon Wimbush (2), Ian Book (3), Avery Davis (4), Phil Jurkovec (4) -though, Notre Dame doesn’t need to be in scramble mode here and can remain selective.
One thing to keep in mind here as well is that even though this appears to be a bit of a messy breakup, there is precedent for Notre Dame to get back in the mix. Just last year Notre Dame secured a spring commitment from Braden Lenzy only to lose him to Oregon in the summer followed by quotes from Lenzy in the fall saying he was lied to by the Notre Dame coaching staff. As we all know Lenzy eventually decommitted from Oregon after the season and is set to enroll at Notre Dame this summer with a chance to see the field early.
Lenzy was quick to tweet the now former Notre Dame commitment on Friday following the news.
Aye man best of luck to you and if you decide to join us in the future we welcome ya! Ik how hard of a decision it was to make and Ik what it’s like to receive hate.. keep your head up high and do what’s best for you and your family! Stay blessed 💪🏽 https://t.co/kmTeyYkGIs
— Braden Lenzy (@blspeedy21) March 3, 2018
Things can change in a hurry in recruiting so while the door with McNamara appears near shut right now, no door is ever completely closed until a letter of intent is signed.