Brian Kelly met with the media on Sunday less than 24 hours after his team suffered it’s first loss of the 2015 season on the road at the hands of the Clemson Tigers. Kelly talked about the lost opportunities his squad had on Saturday night and updated the Irish injury front. Here are some quick notes on what Kelly had to say.
- [Edit} Queston Nelson sprained an ankle and was in a boot today. Kelly would not make a declaration on what his status was for this weekend because it was too soon to know.
- According to Kelly, Notre Dame left over 125 yards on the field with all of the dropped passes that plagued the Irish on Saturday night. Kelly specifically referenced Will Fullers crucial third down drop and later referenced Corey Robinson’s brutal drop at the 1 yard line at the end of the first half.
- Kelly spoke glowingly about what he learned about Deshone Kizer after the sophomore nearly led the Irish back from a huge 4th quarter deficit before coming up just a yard short of forcing overtime.
- In terms of development, Kelly said he wants to see KIzwer start taking advantage of some of the easier throws the defense is giving him instead of looking for the homerun ball too often.
- Kelly said he wasn’t disappointed in his team but was disappointed that they didn’t take advantage of the opportunity they had to beat a good team on the road in a hostile environment.
- Saturday was Max Redfield’s best game of his collegiate career according to Brian Kelly. He referenced Redfield needing to work through some struggles with his early season injury but was very complimentary of the much maligned junior safety.
- Kelly said that the look the Clemson defense gave them on the last two point conversion attempt that in essence ended the game was what they were hoping to see, but they did a poor job of blocking the 3 technique which blew up the play.
- Kelly defended his decision to go for two points following CJ Prosise’s long touchdown catch and run stating that their chart calls for them to go for two in that situation and stating that his senior advisor in such situations concurred on the call. Kelly said that he doesn’t chase points until the 4th quarter but they used their chart in the situation.