This week, Notre Dame maintained their #4 ranking in the college football playoff after a wild weekend that saw four top 10 teams lose. Most Irish fans would agree they would have preferred a better performance against Wake Forest, but ND was just fine when you look at the results from the top five as a whole – other than Alabama.
Review of last week’s top 15:
- #1 Clemson over Syracuse 37-27
- #2 Alabama rolls #17 Mississippi State 31-6
- #3 Ohio State beats Illinois 28-3
- #5 Iowa outlasts Minnesota 40-35
- #6 Baylor downed by #12 Oklahoma 44-34
- #7 Stanford upset by Oregon 38-36
- #8 Oklahoma State sneaks by Iowa State 35-31
- #9 LSU blown out by Arkansas 31-14
- #10 Utah stunned by Arizona 37-30 in 2OT
- #11 Florida over South Carolina 24-14
- #13 Michigan State handles Maryland 24-7
- #14 Michigan survives Indiana 48-41 in 2OT
- #15 TCU over Kansas 23-17
Review of last week’s other ND opponents:
- Texas @ West Virginia, L 38-20
- Virginia @ Louisville, L 38-31
- Georgia Tech vs. Virginia Tech, L 23-21
- Massachusetts @ Eastern Michigan, W 28-17
- #20 Navy vs. SMU, W 55-14
- USC @ Colorado, W 27-24
- #22 Temple @ South Florida, L 44-23
- Pittsburgh @ Duke, W 31-13
- Boston College, Off
Best Hopes for the Big 12 & Big Ten
Notre Dame’s best hopes to makes the playoffs are as follows:
- All Big 12 teams have one ore more losses, with Oklahoma having two losses.
- Unbeaten Oklahoma State (still plays Baylor & Oklahoma)
- One-loss Oklahoma (still plays TCU & Oklahoma State)
- All Big Ten teams have one or more losses.
- Ohio State (still plays Michigan State, Michigan and Big Ten Championship)
- Iowa (still plays Purdue, Nebraska and Big Ten Championship)
This week’s games
Saturday, November 7
- Wake Forest @ #1 Clemson – A Clemson loss dooms Notre Dame. Cheer for Clemson, and thus a future rematch.
- Charleston Southern @ #2 Alabama – It’s that time of the year for SEC snoozers, part I. Cheer for CSU, or the playoff committee to punish.
- #9 Michigan State @ #3 Ohio State – Both the Buckeyes and Spartans have looked inconsistent this season. Can the Buckeyes dominating defense contain proven offensive star Connor Cook? Cook was injured last week against Maryland, but if he can return, Michigan State can cause some trouble. Cheer for Michigan State.
- Purdue @ #5 Iowa – Colin Cowherd has had weekly segments talking trash on Iowa. Here’s this week’s.
"I don't hate Iowa. Hating Iowa would be like hating celery" – @ColinCowherd
— Herd w/Colin Cowherd (@TheHerd) November 17, 2015
Cheer for Purdue.
- #10 Baylor @ #6 Oklahoma State – Oklahoma State is the only remaining unbeaten team in the Big 12. Cheer for Baylor.
- #18 TCU @ #7 Oklahoma – Oklahoma is the only one-loss Big 12 team that threatens Notre Dame’s playoff hopes. Cheer for TCU.
- Florida Atlantic @ #8 Florida – It’s that time of the year for SEC snoozers, part II. Cheer for FAU, or the playoff committee to punish.
- California @ #11 Stanford – Stanford failed last week’s exam, and while it hurt ND, their ranking didn’t fall as badly as it could have. A win here could propel them back into the top 10 by next week. Cheer for Stanford .
Other Teams We’re Cheering For
Saturday, November 21
- #21 Memphis @ Temple
- #12 Michigan @ Penn State
- #17 North Carolina @ Virginia Tech
- Georgia Tech @ Miami (FL)
- Miami (OH) @ Massachusetts
- #19 Houston @ Connecticut
- #15 LSU @ #22 Ole Miss
- Duke @ Virginia
- #24 USC @ #23 Oregon
- UCLA @ #13 Utah
- #20 Northwestern @ #25 Wisconsin
- Louisville @ Pittsburgh
- Mississippi State @ Arkansas
- #16 Navy @ Tulsa