It’s that time of the year. It’s transfer portal season. Notre Dame was thrust right into this year with Drew Pyne, starting quarterback for 10 games this fall, entered the portal less than a week after the Irish closed out the 2022 regular season with a loss to USC. The Irish figure to be very active in the portal this season as Marcus Freeman and staff look to patch some holes from shoddy recruiting at the end of the Brian Kelly era – including quarterback where the Irish were already likely to add a transfer before news of Pyne’s departure.
There are also a number of NFL decisions the Irish staff is waiting to hear from a handful of players. Just like last year, we’ll have a running tracker of all players entering the portal from Notre Dame and players transferring in.
2022 Offseason Roster Movement
|Jacob Lacey||DT||JR||Transfer Out (Oklahoma)|
|Cam Hart||CB||SR||Return (5th)|
|Michael Vinson||LS||5th||Return (6th)|
|Drew Pyne||QB||JR||Transfer Out (Arizona State)|
|Joe Wilkins||WR||5th||Transfer Out (Miami OH)|
|Jayden Bellamy||CB||FR||Transfer Out (Syracuse)|
|Osita Ekwonu||DE||SR||Transfer Out (Charlotte)|
|Michael Mayer||TE||JR||Leave (NFL)|
|Isaiah Foskey||DE||SR||Leave (NFL)|
|Cane Berrong||TE||SO||Transfer Out (TBD)|
|Spencer Shrader||K||SR||Transfer In (South Florida)|
|Kaleb Smith||WR||SR||Transfer In (Virginia Tech)|
|Brandon Joseph||S||JR||Leave (NFL)|
|Sam Hartman||QB||6th||Transfer In (Wake Forest)|
|Justin Ademilola||DE||5th||Leave (NFL)|
|Thomas Harper||S||5th||Transfer In (Wake Forest)|
|DJ Brown||S||5th||Return (6th)|
|Javontae Jean-Baptiste||DE||5th||Transfer In (Ohio State)|
- DT Jacob Lacey announced he planned on transferring from Notre Dame during the season and has since committed to Oklahoma.
- Cam Hart announced he would return to Notre Dame for a 5th year after it was previously thought he was heading to the NFL.
- Drew Pyne entered the transfer portal on 12/2 after starting 10 games in 2022.
- Michael Vinson, starting long snapper the past three years, announced he will return for a 6th year on 12/2.
- Transfer portal officially opened on 12/5. The following Notre Dame players entered their names:
- Freshman CB Jayden Bellamy. Suffered a concussion in camp that set him back and didn’t see the field in 2022.
- Senior DE Osita Ekwonu. Did not play much at all in 2021 or 2022 after moving from LB to DE.
- Notre Dame has been active in adding players from the transfer portal this off-season. The following players have been added:
- Sam Hartman, the top QB in the portal, selected Notre Dame on 1/5, significantly upgrading the Notre Dame quarterback room. He left Wake Forest after five years and used a free COVID year.
- Safety/nickel Thomas Harper selected Notre Dame on 1/6, giving the Irish more depth in a secondary that has lost some players. He left Oklahoma State after four year and used a free COVID year.
- Wide receiver Kaleb Smith from Virginia Tech selected Notre Dame on 12/21.
- Justin Ademilola announced he was heading to the NFL instead of using a final year of eligibility in 2023. It would have been his 6th year and was only available because of the free COVID year.